Thursday, February 13, 2020

Don't Give Up Your Day Job

My day job doesn't pay much, but it pays a lot better than my night gig. I can't say for sure whether this has been the case ever since I gave up show biz eleven years ago, but I can say that ever since my sleep study in Nashville, when I began sleeping on my left side exclusively, I have been building and installing scenery professionally pretty much every night in my sleep.

What I am building is never very clear, but whatever I am working on is fraught with problems. No place to build it. It's gone when I arrive for work the next day. Materials can't be found. Tools are missing. The truck has already left without me or my project or both.

The other part of the story is the venue. We can't find the place. The place is so huge and convoluted that we can 't find the ballroom or the theatre or whatever we're looking for. We brought the wrong stuff. We can't find our way home.

It's interesting to me that pretty much without exception, the problems I dream about never happened during my twenty years in the business. Sure, there were always problems, but I guess since we always figured out solutions, those problems aren't worth dreaming about.

Anyway, I usually wake up scratching my head about some ridiculous situation we encountered. And I usually wake up exhausted. That's show biz.

No comments:

Post a Comment